Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett
Ever since last year’s homecoming dance, best friends-turned-best enemies Zorie and Lennon have made an art of avoiding each other. It doesn’t hurt that their families are the modern-day Californian version of the Montagues and Capulets. But when a group camping trip goes south, Zorie and Lennon find themselves stranded in the wilderness. Alone. Together. What could go wrong?
With no one but each other for company, Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to hash out their issues via witty jabs and insults as they try to make their way to safety. But fighting each other while also fighting off the forces of nature makes getting out of the woods in one piece less and less likely.
And as the two travel deeper into Northern California’s rugged backcountry, secrets and hidden feelings surface. But can Zorie and Lennon’s rekindled connection survive out in the real world? Or was it just a result of the fresh forest air and the magic of the twinkling stars?
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Ableist language
- Racism and islamophobia
- Emotional manipulation and cheating
- Anxiety attacks (on-page) and depression (mentioned)
- Suicide of a parent
- Blood depiction, physical injury, chronic illness (main character, specifically hives) and hospitalisation (mentioned)
- Grief depiction and death of a father/mother (recounted)
- Physical assault
- Plane crash (mentioned)
- Animal attacks, specifically snack and bear attacks