Bring Me Their Hearts by Sara Wolf
Zera is a Heartless – the immortal, unageing soldier of a witch. Bound to the witch Nightsinger ever since she saved her from the bandits who murdered her family, Zera longs for freedom. With her heart in a jar under Nightsinger’s control, she serves the witch unquestioningly. Until Nightsinger asks Zera for a Prince’s heart in exchange for her own.
Crown Prince Lucien d’Malvane hates the royal court as much as it loves him – every tutor too afraid to correct him and every girl jockeying for a place at his side. No one can challenge him – until the arrival of Lady Zera. She’s inelegant, smart-mouthed, & out for his blood.
So begins a game of cat and mouse between a girl with nothing to lose and a boy who has it all. Winner takes the loser’s heart. Literally.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Persecution for witchcraft (theme)
- Fatmisia & body shaming
- Child abuse
- Arranged marriage
- Alcohol consumption
- Alcohol abuse & alcoholism recounted
- Graphic blood & gore depiction, including dead bodies
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of a sister
- Death of a mother & father
- Death of a child mentioned
- Murder & attempted murder
- Knife violence & stabbing
- Loss of autonomy (mind control)
- Death from a fall mentioned
- War themes (central theme)
- Animal death and dead bodies
- Death by animal attack mentioned
- Poverty themes