The Impossible Contract by K.A. Doore
Thana has a huge reputation to live up to as daughter of the Serpent, who rules over Ghadid’s secret clan of assassins. Opportunity to prove herself arrives when Thana accepts her first contract on Heru, a dangerous foreign diplomat with the ability to bind a person’s soul under his control.
She may be in over her head, especially when Heru is targeted by a rival sorcerer who sends hordes of the undead to attack them both. When Heru flees, Thana has no choice than to pursue him across the sands to the Empire that intends to capture Ghadid inside its iron grip.
A stranger in a strange city, Thana’s only ally is Mo, a healer who may be too noble for her own good. Meanwhile, otherworldly and political dangers lurk around every corner, and even more sinister plans are uncovered which could lead to worldwide devastation. Can Thana rise to the challenge—even if it means facing off against an ancient evil?
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Racism, slavery & colonialism themes
- Sex work shaming & slurs
- Self-injury for blood magic
- Graphic blood & gore depiction, including dead bodies
- Physical injuries & illness
- Nonconsensual branding
- Murder & attempted murder (central theme)
- Poisoning (multiple scenes)
- Knife violence
- Graphic strangulation & garrotting (multiple scenes)
- Severe dehydration depiction & water scarcity
- Graphic fire & result loss of property
- Animal murder discussed & animal death