Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Welcome to the world of the Grisha.
Kaz Brekker and his crew of deadly outcasts have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn’t think they’d survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they’re right back to fighting for their lives.
Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz’s cunning and test the team’s fragile loyalties.
A war will be waged on the city’s dark and twisting streets – a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Ableism and ableist language, persecution for witchcraft, classism and indentured servitude discussed
- Forced underaged sex work recounted and child rape recounted
- Child abuse, parental abandonement and disownment
- Drug addiction and gambling addiction
- Drug dependency and withdrawal discussed, drug addiction (recovery), recreational drug use recounted and alcohol consumption
- Pregnancy mentioned (secondary character)
- Blood and gore depiction, graphic physical injuries, chronic illness and pain, plague mentioned, body modification (with consent)
- Death of a boyfriend and death of a friend (on-page)
- Murder, attempted murder, torture (on-page), explosions, gun violence, knife violence and stabbing
- Kidnapping, captivity, imprisonment, home invasion, blackmail and death threats
- Poverty themes and debt collection mentioned