The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Charlie is a freshman. And while he’s not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can’t stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of lifee… Read more.
Trigger & Content Warnings
- Paedophilia & sexual assault of a child recounted
- Physical child abuse recounted
- Intimate partner violence*
- Alcohol consumption
- Recreational drug use & smoking
- Abortion (sc)
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of an aunt in a car accident
- Death of a friend from suicide (theme)
- Physical assault (fistfights)
*Context : The protagonist’s sister is physically abused by her boyfriend who she continues to date. The protagonist also accompanies her to have an abortion.