The Cousins by Karen M. McManus
Echo Ridge is small-town America. Ellery’s never been there, but she’s heard all about it. Her aunt went missing there at age seventeen. And only five years ago, a homecoming queen put the town on the map when she was killed. Now Ellery has to move there to live with a grandmother she barely knows.
The town is picture-perfect, but it’s hiding secrets. And before school even begins for Ellery, someone’s declared open season on homecoming, promising to make it as dangerous as it was five years ago. Then, almost as if to prove it, another girl goes missing.
Ellery knows all about secrets. Her mother has them; her grandmother does too. … Read more.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Racist microaggressions
- Sexual harassment
- Parental abuse & neglect
- Parental abandonment
- Familial disownment & estrangement (central theme)
- Pregnancy discussed
- Miscarriage recounted
- Alcohol consumption & abuse
- Death of a father & grandfather mentioned
- Death of a mother & grandmother mentioned
- Death of a son mentioned
- Drowning mentioned
- Death in a car accident mentioned
- Murder recounted
- Gun violence
- Hostage situation
- Housefire & death from smoke inhalation mentioned
- Financial struggles & bankruptcy discussed