The Opposite of Innocent by Sonya Sones
Luke has been away for two endless years, but he’s finally returning today. Lily was only twelve when he left. But now, at fourteen, she feels transformed. She can’t wait to see how Luke will react when he sees the new her. And when her mother tells her that Luke will be staying with them for a while, in the bedroom right next to hers, her heart nearly stops.
Having Luke back is better than Lily could have ever dreamed. His lingering looks set Lily on fire. Is she just imagining them? But then, when they’re alone, he kisses her. Then he kisses her again. Lily’s friends think anyone his age who wants to be with a fourteen-year-old must be really messed up. Maybe even dangerous. But Luke would never do anything to hurt her…would he?
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Victim blaming
- Paedophilia, grooming & child sexual abuse
- Graphic rape by coercion (on-page)
- Child abuse
- Abusive relationship
- Alcohol consumption, including forced alcohol consumption
- Death of a mother & father recounted
- Death of a brother recounted
- Car accident recounted
- Animal attack & death mentioned