Toffee by Sarah Crossan
Also known as Being Toffee.
One is trying to forget. The other is trying to remember.
After running away from an abusive home, Allison finds herself taking shelter in a shed behind an abandoned house. But the house isn’t empty after all; an elderly woman named Marla, who suffers from dementia, lives there. And rather than turn her away, Marla welcomes her – she mistakes Allison for an old friend from her past named Toffee.
Allison is used to hiding who she really is, and trying to be what other people want her to be, so she decides to play along. But as their bond grows, and Allison discovers how much Marla needs a real companion, Allison begins to waver. They both deserve a home, a safe place, and a family – but at what cost?
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Slut shaming
- Sexual harassment
- Physical, verbal & emotional child abuse (theme)
- Domestic violence and physical & emotional abuse
- Elder abuse
- Cheating mentioned
- Suicidal ideation
- Alcohol consumption
- Recreational drug use (smoking)
- Death from childbirth & traumatic childbirth mentioned
- Dementia (theme)
- Minor blood depiction & physical injuries, including burns
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of a mother & wife recounted
- Animal death
- Death of a pet dog mentioned
- Animal attack mentioned