Can’t Take That Away by Steven Salvatore
Carey Parker dreams of being a diva, and bringing the house down with song. They can hit every note of all the top pop and Broadway hits. But despite their talent, emotional scars from an incident with a homophobic classmate and their grandmother’s spiraling dementia make it harder and harder for Carey to find their voice.
Then Carey meets Cris, a singer/guitarist who makes Carey feel seen for the first time in their life. With the rush of a promising new romantic relationship, Carey finds the confidence to audition for the role of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, in the school musical, setting off a chain reaction of prejudice by Carey’s tormentor and others in the school. It’s up to Carey, Cris, and their friends to defend their rights–and they refuse to be silenced.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Homomisia, transmisia & misgendering
- Queermisic hate crimes, including physical assault
- Forced outing
- Gender dysphoria
- Sexual assault & harassment
- Attempted suicide & suicidal ideation
- Graphic description of physical injury
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Grief & loss depiction and death of a grandmother