The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.
To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.
As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Body shaming
- Physical & psychological child abuse
- Nightmares mentioned
- Suicide (on-page) and coerced self-harm
- Alcohol consumption and alcohol abuse
- Drug use and non-consensual drugging
- Pregnancy mentioned
- Attempted abortion*
- Blood and gore depiction, including dead bodies
- Graphic physical injuries
- Decapitation & dismemberment mentioned
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of mother and father (on-page)
- Death of friend
- Death of a sister & brother
- Death by a fall mentioned
- Murder and attempted murder
- Knife violence & stabbing
- Kidnapping & captivity
- Loss of autonomy
- War themes discussed
*The father of an unborn child poisons his pregnant consort in an attempt to murder her and the unborn child.