Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.
Now the nation’s fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.
Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.
Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova’s amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling’s secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Victim blaming
- Facial difference discrimination
- Persecution for witchcraft (mentioned)
- Rape and sexual assault (recounted)
- Parental abandonment (implied)
- Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Suicide attempt as self-sacrifice (recounted)
- Alcohol consumption
- Blood and gore depiction, dead bodies, eyeball trauma and branding
- Physical sickness and scars
- Death of a brother, son, girlfriend and friend (recounted)
- Murder and attempted murder
- Explosion, knife violence, physical assault and poisoning
- Captivity, blackmail, hostage situation, exile and banishment
- War themes
- Animal death and bodies (recounted), hunting