Heart of Thorns by Bree Barton
In the ancient river kingdom, where touch is a battlefield and bodies the instruments of war, Mia Rose has pledged her life to hunting Gwyrach: women who can manipulate flesh, bones, breath, and blood. The same women who killed her mother without a single scratch.
But when Mia’s father announces an alliance with the royal family, she is forced to trade in her knives and trousers for a sumptuous silk gown. Determined to forge her own path forward, Mia plots a daring escape, but could never predict the greatest betrayal of all: her own body. Mia possesses the very magic she has sworn to destroy.
Now, as she untangles the secrets of her past, Mia must learn to trust her heart…even if it kills her.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Misogyny (central theme)
- Homomisia, coming out themes and hate crimes
- Rape (mostly recounted, one graphic on-page scene) and sexual assault
- Forced non-consensual arranged marriage
- Physical abuse
- Suicide and suicidal ideation (mentioned)
- Blood and gore depiction, including dead bodies
- Grief and loss depiction
- Death of mother & wife recounted
- Death of a father & husband recounted
- Graphic physical injuries and illness
- Torture (secondary character, off-page)
- Murder & attempted murder
- War themes
- Graphic animal death, animal bodies, and hunting
- Mind control discussed