Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
In 2025, with the world descending into madness and anarchy, one woman begins a fateful journey toward a better future.
Lauren Olamina and her family live in one of the only safe neighborhoods remaining on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Behind the walls of their defended enclave, Lauren’s father, a preacher, and a handful of other citizens try to salvage what remains of a culture that has been destroyed by drugs, disease, war, and chronic water shortages. While her father tries to lead people on the righteous path, Lauren struggles with hyperempathy, a condition that makes her extraordinarily sensitive to the pain of others.
When fire destroys their compound, Lauren’s family is killed and she is forced out into a world that is fraught with danger. With a handful of other refugees, Lauren must make her way north to safety, along the way conceiving a revolutionary idea that may mean salvation for all mankind.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Child sexual assault, sexual abuse and rape, including statutory rape
- Abusive relationships, adult-minor relationships, arranged/forced/coerced marriage, domestic abuse, dubious consent, estrangement, parental abuse and neglect, physical abuse
- Addiction, drug abuse
- Blood and gore depiction, cannibalism, dead bodies and body parts, physical injuries
- Death of a child, friend, parent/guardian and sibling, disappearance of a loved one, grief and loss depiction
- Gun violence, knife violence, murder, police brutality
- Bushfire, earthquake, home invasion, homelessness, sex-trafficking, child-trafficking and human-trafficking, slavery and indentured servitude
- Poverty themes