Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron
It’s 200 years since Cinderella found her prince, but the fairytale is over.
Sophia knows the story though, off by heart. Because every girl has to recite it daily, from when she’s tiny until the night she’s sent to the royal ball for choosing. And every girl knows that she has only one chance. For the lives of those not chosen by a man at the ball are forfeit.
But Sophia doesn’t want to be chosen – she’s in love with her best friend, Erin, and hates the idea of being traded like cattle. And when Sophia’s night at the ball goes horribly wrong, she must run for her life. Alone and terrified, she finds herself hiding in Cinderella’s tomb. And there she meets someone who will show her that she has the power to remake her world.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Misogyny (central theme)
- Queermisia, specfically lesbomisia & homomisia
- Nonconsensual and coerced marriage of teenage girls to adult men (theme), including ‘corrective’ marriage & nonconsensual polygamy
- Sexual assault (on-page) & sexual harassment
- Physical & financial domestic abuse (on-page & off-page)
- Child abuse
- Implied suicide
- Food deprivation mentioned
- Blood & gore depiction
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of a friend
- Murder & attempted murder
- Knife violence
- Animal death & animal attack