A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow
Tavia is already at odds with the world, forced to keep her siren identity under wraps in a society that wants to keep her kind under lock and key. Never mind she’s also stuck in Portland, Oregon, a city with only a handful of black folk and even fewer of those with magical powers. At least she has her bestie Effie by her side as they tackle high school drama, family secrets, and unrequited crushes.
But everything changes in the aftermath of a siren murder trial that rocks the nation; the girls’ favorite Internet fashion icon reveals she’s also a siren, and the news rips through their community. Tensions escalate when Effie starts being haunted by demons from her past, and Tavia accidentally lets out her magical voice during a police stop. No secret seems safe anymore—soon Portland won’t be either.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Racism & racist microaggressions, racial profiling, misogyny & mysogynoir
- Parental abandonment and child abuse
- Anxiety and anxiety attacks
- Self-harm, suicide attempt recounted (on-page & mildly detailed)
- Death of a mother by cancer recounted and death of a child implied
- Disappearance of a friend and murder (off-page)
- Kidnapping and confinement
- Police brutality & violence