I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver
When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they’re thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husband, Thomas, whom Ben has never even met. Struggling with an anxiety disorder compounded by their parents’ rejection, they come out only to Hannah, Thomas, and their therapist and try to keep a low profile in a new school.
But Ben’s attempts to survive the last half of senior year unnoticed are thwarted when Nathan Allan, a funny and charismatic student, decides to take Ben under his wing. As Ben and Nathan’s friendship grows, their feelings for each other begin to change, and what started as a disastrous turn of events looks like it might just be a chance to start a happier new life.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Coming out themes (multiple coming out scenes)
- Disownment from queermisic parents
- Ableism & ableist language
- Slut-shaming recounted
- Suicidal ideation
- Physical, emotional & verbal parental abuse
- Panic attacks (op) & anxiety
- Depression & depressive episode
- Body dysphoria
- Alcohol consumption
- Prescription drug use discussed
- Pregnancy discussed
This post uses an affiliate link.