Dreadnought by April Daniels
Until Dreadnought fell out of the sky and died right in front of her, Danny was trying to keep people from finding out she’s transgender. But before he expired, Dreadnought passed his mantle to her, and those secondhand superpowers transformed Danny’s body into what she’s always thought it should be. Now there’s no hiding that she’s a girl.
It should be the happiest time of her life, but Danny’s first weeks finally living in a body that fits her are more difficult and complicated than she could have imagined. Between her father’s dangerous obsession with “curing” her girlhood, her best friend suddenly acting like he’s entitled to date her, and her fellow superheroes arguing over her place in their ranks, Danny feels like she’s in over her head.
She doesn’t have much time to adjust. Dreadnought’s murderer—a cyborg named Utopia—still haunts the streets of New Port City, threatening destruction. If Danny can’t sort through the confusion of coming out, master her powers, and stop Utopia in time, humanity faces extinction.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Ableism & ableist language, including the r slur
- Transmisia & transmisic slurs (central theme), including internalised transmisia
- Queermisia & queermisic slurs
- Misgendering & deadnaming (multiple scenes, intentional)
- Coming out themes & outing
- Sexism & misogyny
- Physical, emotional & verbal parental abuse
- Suicidal ideation