Caroline’s Heart by Austin Chant
Cecily lost her soulmate years ago, leaving her with nothing but the clockwork heart that once beat in Caroline’s chest. They say it’s impossible to bring back the dead, yet Cecily’s resurrection spell is nearly complete and grows more powerful by the day.
But when a cowboy she barely knows is fatally injured, the only way to save him is by sacrificing an essential piece of the resurrection spell—and all possibility of seeing her lover again.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Transmisia & internalised transmisia
- Persecution for witchcraft
- Hate crimes
- Misgendering and deadnaming*
- Coming out themes*
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of a girlfriend recounted
- Alcohol consumption
- Blood depiction & physical injuries, including amputations & gunshot wounds
- Gun violence
- Bar fight & attempted murder
- Hanging mentioned
*Context: The main character is told a transgender character’s deadname & incorrect pronouns and uses them unintentionally until he is corrected. A closeted trans character is ‘outed’ to the main character when he is undressed for medical treatment while unconcious (off-page).