Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
The only surviving heir to an ancient Kalusian dynasty, Rhee has spent her life training to destroy the people who killed her family. Now, on the eve of her coronation, the time has finally come for Rhee to claim her throne – and her revenge.
Alyosha is a Wraetan who has risen above his war refugee origins to find fame as the dashing star of a DroneVision show. Despite his popularity, Aly struggles with anti-Wraetan prejudices and the pressure of being perfect in the public eye.
Their paths collide with one brutal act of violence: Rhee is attacked, barely escaping with her life. Aly is blamed for her presumed murder.
The princess and her accused killer are forced to go into hiding – even as a war between planets is waged in Rhee’s name. But soon, Rhee and Aly discover that the assassination attempt is just one part of a sinister plot. Bound together by an evil that only they can stop, the two fugitives must join forces to save the galaxy.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Ableist language
- Racism and racial slurs
- Internment camps mentioned
- Strangulation (chp 1)
- Blood depiction (chp 3)
- Unethical human medical experimentation (chp 16)
- Needles (chp 6 & 8)
- Consensual and non-consensual drugging (chp 6, 7 & 22)
- Death of mother, father & sister recounted
- Death of a mother (on-page, chp 25)
- Death of a friend (chp 14)
- Explosions recounted & on-page (chp 1 & 15)
- Murder and attempted murder (chp 1, 3)
- Knife violence (chp 3)
- Police brutality & violence (chp 15)
- Torture (chap 7)
- Mind control discussed
- Imprisonment (chp 17)
- Poisoning (chp 25)
This post uses an affiliate link.