Hurricane Child by Kacen Callender
Being born during a hurricane is unlucky, and 12-year-old Caroline has had her share of bad luck lately. She’s hated and bullied by everyone in her small school on St. Thomas, a spirit only she can see won’t stop following her, and, worst of all, Caroline’s mother left home one day & never came back.
But when a new student named Kalinda arrives, Caroline’s luck begins to turn around. Kalinda, a solemn girl from Barbados with a special smile for everyone, becomes Caroline’s first and only friend — and maybe her first crush.
Together, Caroline and Kalinda must set out in a hurricane to find Caroline’s missing mother — before Caroline loses her forever.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Ableism & ableist language
- Parental abandonment (central theme)
- Physical child abuse (one scene)
- Bullying (on-page)
- Near-drowning incident (chps. 1 & 11)
- Hospitalisation (on-page & recounted)
- Cheating recounted
- Depression (sc)
- Suicide attempt recounted (chp. 10)