I’ll Be the One by Lyla Lee
Skye Shin has heard it all. Fat girls shouldn’t dance. Wear bright colors. Shouldn’t call attention to themselves. But Skye dreams of joining the glittering world of K-Pop, and to do that, she’s about to break all the rules that society, the media, and even her own mother, have set for girls like her.
She’ll challenge thousands of other performers in an internationally televised competition looking for the next K-pop star, and she’ll do it better than anyone else… Read more.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Queermisia & queermisic parents mentioned*
- Coming out themes recounted & on-page*
- Fat-shaming & body shaming (theme)
- Disordered food & weight thoughts discussed, including forced dieting
- Verbal & emotional parental abuse
- Hospitalisation of a child due to malnutrition mentioned
- Cyberbullying & cyberharassment
*Context: The love interest comes out as bisexual to the main character and she comes out as bisexual to him. She is closeted from her family for the whole book. Her love interest recounts how his family bribed his ex-boyfriend to break up with him. Side f/f couple talk about being disowned and kicked out of their homes when they came out to their families.