A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
Cursed by a powerful enchantress to repeat the autumn of his eighteenth year, Prince Rhen, the heir of Emberfall, thought he could be saved easily if a girl fell for him. But that was before he turned into a vicious beast hell-bent on destruction. Before he destroyed his castle, his family, and every last shred of hope.
Nothing has ever been easy for Harper. With her father long gone, her mother dying, and her brother constantly underestimating her because of her cerebral palsy, Harper learned to be tough enough to survive. When she tries to save a stranger on the streets of Washington, DC, she’s pulled into a magical world.
Harper doesn’t know where she is or what to believe. A prince? A curse? A monster? As she spends time with Rhen in this enchanted land, she begins to understand what’s at stake. And as Rhen realizes Harper is not just another girl to charm, his hope comes flooding back. But powerful forces are standing against Emberfall . . . and it will take more than a broken curse to save Harper, Rhen, and his people from utter ruin.
Trigger & Content Warnings:
- Ableism and ableist language
- Sexual assault (on-page) & rape threats
- Cheating recounted
- Suicide (multiple accounts recounted)
- Suicide attempt (on-page, discussed & recounted)
- Suicidal ideation
- Alcohol consumption
- Blood and gore depiction, and dead bodies
- Graphic physical injuries
- Terminal cancer and death from cancer (protagonist’s mother)
- Amputation recounted
- Grief & loss depiction
- Death of a mother (op)
- Death of a sister & father recounted
- Murder and attempted murder
- Physical assailt
- Graphic torture (multiple scenes)
- Gun violence
- Knife violence & stabbing
- Kidnapping & attempted kidnapping
- Death from a fall recounted
- Death from drowning recounted
- War themes, including battle scenes
- Attempted regicide
- Poverty themes & debt collection discussed
This post uses an affiliate link.