I masquerade in makeup and feathers and I am applauded.
A boy comes to terms with his identity as a mixed-race gay teen – then at university he finds his wings as a drag artist, The Black Flamingo. A bold story about the power of embracing your uniqueness. Sometimes, we need to take charge, to stand up wearing pink feathers – to show ourselves to the world in bold colour.
- Racism, racial microaggressions, racist language & racial slurs
- Sexism and gender roles discussed
- Homomisia, internalised homomisia & homomisic slurs
- Lesbomisia & internalised lesbomisia discussed
- Coming out themes
- Alcohol consumption
- Recreational drug use
- Dubcon situation*
- Parental abandonment
- Physical parental abuse (single act)
- Physical assault (minor fights scenes)
- Poverty themes
*The protagonist meets an older man on a dating app (while underage) and agrees to meet with him for sex. The man offers him drugs which cause the protagonist to lose conciousness and his memory of the event.